September 28, 2012 §
Welcome to The Happy Booker for another fabulous Follow Friday hosted by Parajunkee
. While you’re here, be sure to say hi so I can drop by your blog too. This week’s question is:
What is the BIGGEST word you’ve seen used in a book lately – that made you stop and look it up? Might as well leave the definition & book too.
The word that comes to mind is “Peregrinations” from David Mitchell’s Cloud Atlas. It was from near the very beginning of the book and this was the context:
“Five years have passed since this harridan besmirched my name, yes, with imputations that resulted in my being blackballed from Society.” Dr. Goose looked out to sea. “My peregrinations began in that dark hour.”
travel from one place to another, especially on foot.
a course of travel; journey.
I probably would have looked up more if I would have been reading it in print instead of listening to the audio. This was a beautifully written book but I know I would have found it challenging to read it in print. \Have you read this or have you seen the previews for the upcoming movie? It looks amazing!
Thanks for stopping by. Be sure to comment so I can follow back.
December 1, 2010 §
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This is the first Top Ten I’ve participated in but when I saw the topic, I ended up thinking about it all day at work and wondering what fictional characters I’d want to be BFF with. This was actually pretty hard for me but I did come up with a list of 10.
Top Ten Character’s I’d Like to Be Best Friends With
1. Alexia Tarabotti from the Parasol Protectorate– We would wear bustles, carry parasols, and gossip over tea at Lord Akeldema’s fabulous home.
2. Cat and Bones from the Night Huntress series– These two are intelligent, so funny, and good to have around in a fight! I could definitely hang out with either of these characters.
3. Janet Leslie from The Kadin – Bold, outspoken, practical, and strong-willed. I identified a lot with this character and she remains one of my favorite in fiction.
4. Penelope Garcia from Criminal Minds – Quirky, fun, incredible sense of humor, and extremely generous. She’s one of my favorite characters from the Criminal Minds cast along with Reid and Morgan.
5. Vin from the Mistborn series – Tough and smart. I related a lot to her character as well.
6. Jaenelle from the Black Jewels trilogy – Who wouldn’t want to be BFF’s with this all-powerful witch with a heart of gold?
7. Yelena from the Study series – Watching her grow through this amazing series almost makes me feel like we’re already friends.
8. Luna Lovegood from the Harry Potter series – Wow, I absolutely love Luna. Quirky and eccentric but also intelligent, bluntly honest, and the epitome of kindness. I could certainly see myself befriending her in that world.
9. Blair Waldorf from Gossip Girl – “How many times do I have to go Courtney Love on your ass before you get the message?” Enough said. We should already be BFFs.
10. Jenny Humpfrey from Gossip Girl – This show is my guilty pleasure. But these two characters, Blair and Jenny are my favorites. With Jenny its fashion, revenge, and guys, and not necessarily in that order. I could cheerfully be her BFF, it would be tiring, but I would never be bored.